Saturday, July 21, 2007

Things that make you go hmmm

I was reading a library book on learning kanji and the author had written "she" when referring to God. I don't usually see that, but whatevs. However, someone had crossed out the "s" and capitalized the "h" to make it "He". This I find even stranger than just leaving it as "she." Why would someone even bother to "correct" this book? Did it make them feel like they accomplished something? "Now this part is acceptable to my beliefs so I can continue reading." It just really bothers me that people not only use religion to justify killing and oppressing others, they also have to deface library books as well.

At least someone else had crossed out these changes and rewrote "she" into the book.

4 comments:

West Coast Midwestern said...

That "someone else" couldn't have been you, could it?

...

...

...

Naaaw.

Charmingly Feisty said...

Ha, HH nails it! And she taunts us with that gorgeous chocolate cake at the same time.

R, my boy knows a bit of kanji so you two just may have something in common.

Laurie Stark said...

I'm reading "Life of Pi" right now and there's a passage where he talks about how people feel this need to defend g/God even though s/h/He is the most powerful being in the universe while feeling no need to defend the tired, the poor, the huddled masses. I'd quote it directly but I don't have it with me.

Russell said...

Well, I would've corrected it but someone beat me to it.

Laurie, that book sounds great just from your description of that passage. I'll have to add it to my reading list.